Monday, May 18, 2009

Icarus Draft Revision

I've known my grandparents on my father's side very well to this day, but I wish I could say the same about the ones on my mother's side. My grandfather, Herman Macatiag Ines, died when I was 10 years old, and my grandmother, Leonora Ragil Plana Ines, died two years before I was born. I've only met my grandfather three times because he lived in the Philippines ever since 1969. I have been able to acquire pictures of them, but not a lot as of now, and only of them in Hawai'i. I am also still looking for letters, although my mother said there aren't any. I wish that I could've know my grandma and grandpa on a very close personal level, but I will try to get to know them now through the memories and values they left in my mother, uncles, aunties, and cousins.

My grandfather was born in the Philippines on August 29, 1913. My family referred to him as "Papa". He was into music, played the trumpet, and even composed a few pieces. He worked in the medical staff of the military, but moved to California to find a "greener pasture". During these times, many Filipinos were looking for a better life in the United States. However, they didn't work on plantations or farms. Since immigration was limited after the Immigration Act of 1965, it was mostly professionals, such as nurses, doctors, lawyers, the military, etc. People in the Philippines also need "sponsors," or relatives who already live in the U.S. in order to move here, Papa was sponsored by his sister. He slowly sponsored the rest of his family to join him in the years to come.

He stayed in California for 4 years, working in a nursing home, but when he visited his daughter, who lived in Hawaii, he really liked the island and thus, moved here. He ended creating a Filipino band in Hawaii. However, he moved back and retired to the Philippines after my grandmother passed away. My family's description of Papa is "funny, but was also strict, especially about being on time. He loves to joke around, is sociable, and loves to party and drink."

My grandmother was also born in the Philippines on April 7, 1915. My family referred to her as "Mama". She worked at the Post office in Manila, and was a dressmaker. She loved helping and donating food to poor relatives. She migrated to the United States in 1974, and was the last out of the entire family to do this because she wanted to wait for my mom to graduate. Mama valued education for her children, and always told them how important it is.

In Hawaii, she was active in her hometown organizations that were in Hawaii. She continued to sow dresses and other articles of clothings at home. My family's description of Mama was "soft-hearted and friendly. She liked talking stories, and was very funny."

Sadly, Mama was diagonsed with breast cancer in 1990 when she was 75, but by then, the cancer was already in its late stages. But she was strong, a fighter, and continued to keep on thriving and living, until cancer got the best of her on December 23, 1990. After my grandfather moved back the following year, he lived another 12 more years. He was healthy, but didn't go to the doctor because he showed no bad symptoms whatsoever. He died of old age on September of 2003.

However, they left behind a legacy. Papa's musical values and talent remains in my uncles, aunties, my mother, and even myself, through instruments and being able to sing. My mother and aunty are also good with sowing and fixing up clothes, just as how Mama was. And even though I don't have any memories with them, the ones they have left others are strong enough for me to paint vivid images of Mama and Papa in my mind and heart.

1 comment:

lsueoka said...

Hi Bryan,

Nice job of learning about and characterizing your grandparents against the background of history.

Be sure to cite all of your interviews when you put together your research report and website.

And give me the URL so that I can link it to our webpage :)

mrs s