Monday, April 27, 2009

Journal #24!

Passion:
Learning more about my grandparents - the grandma that passed away before I could meet her, and the grandpa I hardly knew.

Resources:
Interviewing my uncles, aunties, and cousins. They were very close to my grandparents.
Family photo albums.

Looking for:
How they impacted my family's life and the lives of those around them.
How each one of them lived in the Philippines, and Hawaii.
Why and when they moved to the United States.
What my family thought of them.
Any special, spectacular deeds they mey have accomplished.

Reaching my Resource:
Contacting my family members.
Going to my uncle's and aunty's houses for interviews.
Asking family members for any old photographs of them.

Possible Product:
A website dedicated to both of them, or creating a package about them.

3 comments:

lsueoka said...

Hi Bryan,

Very thorough planning for your project! It sounds like it will be a valuable piece of family history for you and your family.

Besides the sources that you have suggested in your blog, I would recommend that you also do some research about the Filipinos who immigrated and settled in Hawaii. That would give a broader context to the lives of your grandparents. The focus would still be on their lives, but the background would give your presentation more depth.

Also, in addition to family albums, see if there are any family letters...sometimes people keep those and they become great resources because they would be in the actual words of your grandparents or other relatives...if they're written in Filipino, you could get translations :)

good luck!
mrs s

Bryan Pineda said...

Thanks for the tips Mrs. S! I have a question though about doing the research on some of the Filipinos who immigrated and settled in Hawaii. Would I just be comparing my grandparents' journey to some of other Filipinos' journeys to give it more depth?

Yes, I think that quotes from my grandparents would really help give the website or video their "personal touch", as well as giving some people a hint of their personality.

Thanks again!

lsueoka said...

HI Bryan,

that's right...your family story is the "close up" focus...the "story" part...the background on Filipino immigrants is like the "establishing shot" or the pan...it provides the context for the story...

good luck!
mrs s